Quinn Amelia

Baby G is a she! Quinn Amelia was born August 26 at 10:23 p.m. and is the reason why I haven’t been able to post anything to this blog in three weeks! She is wonderful and Scott and I are so incredibly in love with her and have been enjoying soaking in this time with her.


As you know, we were scheduled for a c-section on Friday, August 28. Little Quinn decided she didn’t want to wait that long! I started to have some back contractions early Wednesday morning. I just felt yucky. I went to work that morning, but after a few hours of tracking my contractions, I realized that I was in labor and this wasn’t Braxton Hicks contractions.

I called Scott and let him know that I was having contractions that were mild and were about 8-10 minutes apart. He freaked out! He demanded I come home and we head to see Dr. Price. Around noon we stopped into Dr. Price’s office and he checked me. I wasn’t dilated, but said if I continue to progress to just head up to the hospital to be monitored.

Around 3 p.m. the contractions were definitely getting stronger and were about 5-6 minutes apart. I was so uncomfortable. I texted Dr. Price and he said to monitor the contractions for another hour to see what happens. After an hour the contractions slowed just a little, but got stronger. At 5 p.m. the contractions were 4-5 minutes apart and were getting more painful. We decided to head to the hospital to have them monitor me.


I kept telling Scott, “They are going to send us back home, I know it.” After two hours of monitoring I was dilated 1 cm and the back contractions were really painful. I was glued to the monitor and would brace myself when I saw the numbers start to creep up indicating a contraction. Around 8 p.m. the nurse came in and said they could give me a shot to slow my contractions so I could make it to Friday for my scheduled c-section. This made me so mad! I was blunt with the nurse and asked, “Why? I’m a couple days from 40 weeks. We could have scheduled the c-section for this past Tuesday. Why can’t we just get this over with?!”

At this time Dr. Price had stopped by the hospital to check in with me. He agreed with me that we didn’t need to prolong the labor. I also think he didn’t want to send me home just to have me come back at 3 a.m. needing the c-section. He said he would make some calls to his surgery team to see if everyone could come in that night … 10 minutes later, all systems were a go! Here is Scott’s camera selfie when we found out…


And a little better one…


We immediately contacted our parents since they both live 2+ hours away … and weren’t expecting Baby G to come that night! Once Dr. Price said that we were going ahead with the c-section my adrenaline skyrocketed. I don’t think I felt any contractions after that. Nurses kept coming in and out to have me sign paperwork and prep me for surgery.

About an hour later, I was starting to freak out. I think the reality of everything started to set in. We were going to meet our baby in less than an hour. I was going to have major abdominal surgery. Nothing would be the same in our lives again. It was just Scott and I in the room and I had an “Ironman moment”. Right before we jumped into the water to begin the Ironman I just wanted to quit. I didn’t want to do it anymore. Same thing here. I was like, I don’t want to do this anymore. I just wanted them to magically remove the baby.

Thankfully, I had the best anesthesiologist I could have ever asked for. Her name is Jenny and she was amazing. She brought such a sense of calm and I trusted her to make sure I didn’t feel anything. Jenny and Dr. Price – the two calmest people I know. Her constant reassurance made me feel so much better!

I walked over to the surgery room and Jenny administered the spinal block. My legs felt warm and heavy and they laid me on the surgery table. There were 5-6 nurses that started prepping me for surgery. Draping blankets, cleaning my stomach, etc. The major concern I had was that I would FEEL it. One of the nurses said she had been “pinching the fire” out of my stomach with a pair of tongs and I didn’t feel anything. 🙂



When I was ready to go Scott walked in the room and held my hand. Thankfully they had a chair for him to sit in so he didn’t have to stand … and possibly faint! A couple minutes after that Dr. Price came in the room and things started rolling. Five minutes later Dr. Price says, “Well, you are going to have a lot of pink in your future, because it’s a girl!”

It’s a girl!

I immediately started crying. Our little girl. My heart was so full in that moment. I was a mommy. Scott was a daddy. We have a daughter!

Quinn Amelia was born at 10:23 p.m. She weighed 7 lbs 13 oz and was 19.5 inches long. She came out pink and screaming. The nurses were surprised at how big she was! My belly was seriously “all baby”. They also kept calling her a “TV baby” because she was so pink and healthy.


Scott went over to where they were cleaning her up and watched her pee all over the place. 🙂 (She still does that 3 weeks later! Something about being free I guess). She screamed the entire time the nurses were cleaning her up. They brought her over to Scott and I while Dr. Price was stitching me up and she immediately stopped. It was amazing. She was bright eyed and just looked at us, like “Hey mom and dad. I’m here!”



We also knew in that moment that her name would be Quinn. We had other names on the table, but once we met her it felt perfect.

Next was the part I was not looking forward to … being by myself while Scott went with Quinn to the nursery and I went to recovery. Scott knew that I was dreading this part so as he was leaving the surgery unit he handed me a handwritten letter, kissed me on my forehead and told me he loved me and he was going to hang out with our girl. He’s the best. I don’t know what I did in this world to deserve such a great partner, but I thank God for him every day! The nurses were like, “That is one awesome husband. We have never seen that before!” Yes, he’s a keeper!




The rest of the evening was a daze. Once in recovery I called my parents to tell them we had a little girl and her name was Quinn. Finally it was time for me to head over to the post-partum wing. I got to see my parents (and got a kiss from my dad) and was reunited with Scott and Quinn.

Exhausted doesn’t even begin to describe how we all felt. It was about 1 a.m. at this point. I was trying to breastfeed for the first time all the while nurses were coming in and out with more paperwork, blood work, blood pressure, pain medication, you name it. Around 4 a.m. Scott crawled onto the bed with me and we just watched our little girl sleep. I kept telling him, “I can’t believe she’s a girl! And she’s ours!”




The next morning the grandparents were itching to see their new granddaughter. I can’t blame them! We made them drive down in the middle of the night!



We had visitors off and on throughout the day. When it hit 10 p.m. that night, I realized I hadn’t slept in 48 hours. My body was shutting down and hormones were taking over. I started to feel really cold and was shaking. We decided to send Quinn to the nursery for the night and let them give her a bottle there so I could get 4 hours of sleep. Best decision we could have made.

We were able to come home that Saturday morning and we were ready! We were both exhausted from “sleeping” in the hospital. We were ready to sleep in our own beds with no nurse interruptions!




We’ve had so many visitors since we’ve come home. Friends and family have brought us tons of food! So much so that Scott and I still haven’t had to cook a meal … and it’s three weeks later! Much of this is thanks to my mom for making us a lot of healthy food and freezing it. She’s a lifesaver. 🙂




So, that’s our little girl’s birth story. We are so in love with her. We love all the squeaky noises she makes, her “old man” faces when we try to burp her, the occasional smile and smirk and her big bright blue eyes that stare right through you. We can’t wait to see her grow (not too fast, though!).

Right now she loves being outside and going on stroller rides. She likes to squirm (swaddles cannot contain her), and being walked around the house. She is a ceiling fan connoisseur and can poop more than anyone I know! Scott and I are so thankful that she is a happy and healthy little girl!



7 thoughts on “Quinn Amelia

  1. Scott and Allie, You both make my heart happy! Bless little Quinn with all life’s promise and happiness. It was so much fun to read her “Welcome to the world” story! Sending love and such big hugs your way. Diane

  2. Thank-you for sharing Quinn’s beautiful entrance into this world, I can’t wait to get to meet and hold her. She is one lucky little girl to have such loving parents. God’s blessings to you all. Love Grandma

  3. I love your baby story of Quinn’s arrival. What excitement! She is a precious little angel and we’re so happy to be her grandma & grandpa. 🙂

  4. Little Quinn has so many who love her and are praying for her at her young age. She is very fortunate and then to have you two as parents, she will go far. Love your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

  5. Quinn is definitely loved! We can’t wait to get back down there and give her a big squeeze! Of course, we love you and Scott too! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s